The Delta State College of Education, Mosogar was one of the four (4) institutions established by the Chief James Onanafe Ibori’s administration in November 2002 under the Delta State Higher Education Project (DSHEP). The College was established as a full-fledged College of Education with a Centre of Excellence in Sports.
- The College has graduated over seven sets of students beginning from the 2005/2006 academic session till date.
- Two additional schools. In line with the recommendation of the regulatory body, National Commission for Colleges of Education (NCEE) and the massive financial support of the Delta State Government, two additional schools have been established. These are the School of Vocational Studies and the School of Arts and Social Sciences.
- New programmes. Political Science, Economics, Social Studies, English Language, Home Economics and Agricultural Science have been introduced in the new schools. These new programmes have gone a long way in beefing up students’ population.
- Accreditation. All the old programmes in the School of Sciences have received full accreditation from the new regulatory body, NCEE. In a recent accreditation exercise in May 2013, four of the five new programmes received full accreditation while Agricultural Science was granted partial accreditation. It is expected that the accreditation team from NCEE would visit the College before the end of the year to inspect the Agricultural Science department. The requirements for accreditation (Piggery, Rabbit hutch, poultry, etc) have been put in place.
- Professional Diploma in Education (PDE). The College was granted approval by the Teachers’ Registration Council of Nigeria (TRCN) to run its Professional Diploma in Education at the College. The PDE is an equivalent of a PGDE which is a requirement for all teaching staff in any institution. The availability of the programme in our College has afforded many Deltans in the College environs the opportunity of having a teaching qualification.
- Demonstration Schools. The College boasts of a fully functional Demonstration School that is a requirement of the Primary Education Studies department. The demonstration schools afford Mosogar indigenes and people both far and near the opportunity of having quality education from an early age.
- Library. The College also has a well stocked library with relevant and current textbooks and journals. It has an adjoining Information Communication Technology (ICT) Unit powered by a 12kva generator (this section is the e-library).
- Sporting achievement. The College staff has won many medals in the Bi-annual Colleges of Education Staff Association of Nigeria (CESSAN) Games. In 2009 CESSAN games hosted by C.O.E. Agbor, the College staff won gold medals in Scrabble and Draught and three silver medals in Chess. In the 2013 CESSAN games that was hosted by FCE (special) Oyo, Oyo State, the College staff won gold in Scrabble and three silver medals in Chess and one silver medal in Dart.
- NICEGA Games. The College students have also won medals in the yearly Nigeria College of Education Games (NICEGA). In June 2013, the College hosted the Zone “G” Preliminary Ball Games that comprised of eleven (11) Colleges of Education. Our students have qualified in athletics and Badminton.